US Dollar nosedives with CPI speeding up its disinflationary pathway

July 11, 2024 2:13 pm

  • The US Dollar retreats firmly after soft CPI release. 
  • The Fed should no longer be concerned on the disinflationary trajectory. 
  • The US Dollar index falls further and heads to 104.00.

The US Dollar (USD) is easing firmly on Thursday after the US Consumer Price Index (CPI) for June revealed a substantial decline in inflation. Special remarks for the retail sales which shrank even by 0.1%, meaning that US consumer is no longer willing to pay current prices for goods and is rather awaiting for lower prices before making their purchases. Add in there a softer print for housing and rent, and it looks like the Fed measures put in place are starting to pay off. 

On the economic front, most important data for this Thursday is out of the way, and focus will now shift towards Friday on the Producer Price Index (PPI) numbers for June. Meanwhile markets will want to hear from Fed officials that these numbers are what they are looking for, and should trigger a more dovish response from the Fed. With nearly less than two months left, the initial rate cut for the US looks to be locked in for September.  

Daily digest market movers: Cuts are coming

  •  Let us walk you through the main numbers that came in this Thursday:
    • US CPI for June:
      • Monthly headline CPI fell into contraction from +0.1% to -0.1% for June. 
      • Monthly core CPI declined from 0.2% to 0.1%.
      • Annual headline CPI fell from 3.3% to 3.0%.
      • Annual core CPI went from 3.4% to 3.3%.
    • Weekly Jobless Claims for the week of July 5:
      • Initial Claims came in a touch lower, from 239.000 to 222.000.
      • Continuing Claims went from 1.856 million to 1.852 million. 
  • At 15:30 GMT, President of Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta Raphael Bostic participates in a moderated conversation at the NCUA’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Summit in Minneapolis, United States.
  • Equity markets are jumping higher with rate cuts being applauded in both Europe and US equity indices. 
  • The CME Fedwatch Tool is broadly backing a rate cut in September despite recent comments from Fed officials. The odds now stand at 68.1% for a 25-basis-point cut. A rate pause stands at a 28.6% chance, while a 50-basis-point rate cut has a slim 3.3% possibility. 
  • The US 10-year benchmark rate trades at 4.19% and remains near the lower level for the week.

US Dollar Index Technical Analysis: Look out below

The US Dollar Index (DXY) faces a key pivotal moment with the US Consumer Price Index release for June. This is the make-or-break moment for September rate cut prospects, with any uptick snapping the disinflationary trajectory that would mean that September meeting is off the table. So, expect markets to give a more significant probability of a further easing of the DXY than a stronger US Dollar. 

On the upside, the 55-day Simple Moving Average (SMA) at 105.14 remains the first resistance. Should that level be reclaimed again, 105.53 and 105.89 are the following nearby pivotal levels. The red descending trend line in the chart below at around 106.23 and April’s peak at 106.52 could come into play should the Greenback rally substantially. 

On the downside, the risk of a nosedive move is increasing, with only the double support at 104.81, which is the confluence of the 100-day SMA and the green ascending trend line from December 2023, still in place. Should that double layer give way, the 200-day SMA at 104.41 is the gatekeeper that should catch the DXY and avoid further declines. Further down, the correction could head to 104.00 as an initial stage. 

US Dollar Index: Daily Chart

US Dollar Index: Daily Chart

Interest rates FAQs

Feed from Fxstreet.com

MoneyMaker FX EA Trading Robot